Monday, October 15, 2007

Web Radio 2.0


One of my favorite web 2.0 concepts has always been the idea of interactive web radio that creates customized stations tailored to your musical tastes. For two years now I have been a member at one such sites called Pandora. The site is great because it is part of something called the Music Genome Project which is a collaboration between artist and programmers to provide a great place for people and music to come together. The site has hundreds of thousands of songs that are listened to by a group of music-analysts and given one of over four hundred descriptive attributes that are used to let the customer search for a song or an artist then it plays song with similar attributes and lets you rate them to make your own radio stations. The site, like many other interactive web radio sites, offers both a free membership with advertisements (visual only) and a $36 annual membership free of advertising. Along with the great music on the site, the interactivity of Web 2.0, is firmly embraced with a behind the scenes look at this site through blogs and a podcasting section. I encourage everyone to try it out and I dare you to enter the name of a song or an artist that Pandora does not have.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I LOVE Pandora. I'm kind of a Luddite when it comes to music, which makes me stick to what I already like and I don't really branch out into listening to new groups. So how do I get exposed to new music? Since Pandora allows you to give a thumbs-up to songs you like from your stations, I can keep track of all of the songs I liked. It's a great way to explore new music - I can leave a station playing for hours.